Do you aspire to study architecture in English in Germany because of its excellent architectural education system? But since you only know English, has language become a barrier for you? Not an issue! Many German institutions offer international students the opportunity to study architecture in English in Germany.
Germany’s architectural history and cultural diversity create an inspiring learning environment. About the study of architecture, Germany’s education system is unmatched by any other country.
For this reason, a large number of students pursuing degrees in architecture from other countries come to Germany. It is not necessary to complete any exams to pursue architectural studies in Germany. Discover the top 12 universities in Germany that teach architecture in English.
Top 12 Universities in Germany That Teaches Architecture in English
1. Technical University of Berlin
Location: Berlin, Germany
The Technical University of Berlin is a public research university in Germany that gives you the opportunity to study architecture in English in Germany. With highly regarded technical and engineering programs, it is one of the best technical universities in Germany. TU has about nineteen programs taught in English, including architecture programs for students from abroad.
The Master of Science program in Architectural Typology is available at TU Berlin. If you graduate from this university with a degree in Architecture, you can find a desirable job in the architecture profession. This university has one of the largest numbers of international students in Germany.
2. Bauhaus-Weimar University
Location: Weimar, Thuringia, Germany
Europe’s famous school of art and architecture is the Bauhaus-Weimar University. This is another top university to study architecture in English in Germany. English-taught master’s and doctoral programs are available at the university’s Faculty of Architecture.
One such program is the Master’s Degree in Media Architecture that you can earn at this institution. Their cutting-edge programs equip you with knowledge and expertise in architectural technology.
3. University of Stuttgart
Location: Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany
The University of Stuttgart is a good place to study architecture in English in Germany. The leading technical university in Germany, it is a worldwide research university.
The Faculty of Architecture at this institution offers several master’s degree programs taught in English, including integrative technologies and architectural design research, integrated urbanism and sustainable design, and infrastructure planning.
4. RWTH Aachen University
Location: Aachen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Germany’s largest university of technology, RWTH Aachen, is a prestigious institution. It is considered one of the leading research institutions in Europe for science.
Its master’s degree program in architecture is notable for its broad scope. Apart from this, this institution provides master’s degree programs in Technology and Engineering, Economics, Arts, and Social Sciences.
An M.Sc. degree in architecture can help you start a successful career in the field of architecture. You can enroll in this university to study architecture in English in Germany.
5. TU Dortmund University
Location: Dortmund, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
TU Darmstadt is one of Germany’s prestigious and globally renowned universities. This university has the highest number of international students enrolled.
To promote students’ global and intercultural competencies and to attract foreign master’s students, the university offers an M.Sc. program in architecture for international Students. This is a top university where you can study architecture in English in Germany.
6. Technical University of Munich (TUM)
Location: Munich, Germany
TUM is a renowned research institute with an MA in architecture course. M.A. in Landscape Architecture is offered in this institute in both German and English, while the M.A. in Architecture program is offered only in German.
The Technical University of Munich is a leader in academic and technological excellence in Germany and is a proud member of the TU9 alliance. This institution is a great option if you want to study architecture in English in Germany.
7. Hochschule Wismar University of Applied Sciences
Location: Wismar, Germany Germany
Hochschule Wismar University of Applied Sciences provides an extensive architecture program encompassing both bachelor’s and master’s degrees. The curriculum is designed to deliver a comprehensive education in architecture, covering diverse areas, such as design, construction, urban planning, and sustainable architecture.
You can study architecture in English in Germany as the Faculty of Design at the university provides architecture programs in both German and English. The master’s degree program in Architectural Lighting Design is conducted in English.
8. Anhalt University of Applied Sciences
Location: Köthen (headquarters), Bernburg (Saale) & Dessau-Roßlau, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany
At Anhalt University of Applied Sciences, the Architecture program stands out as a comprehensive and dynamic educational offering. This program is designed to provide students with an all-round education in the field of architecture.
The school offers two master’s degrees in architecture taught in English, including an M.A. in Architecture and an M.A. in Architectural and Cultural Heritage. You can enroll in this university to study architecture in English in Germany, which provides students with the necessary skills to pursue this discipline.
9. Leibniz University Hannover
Location: Hanover, Lower Saxony, Germany
Leibniz University Hanover offers an architecture program that covers a wide range of architectural disciplines such as design, construction, and urban planning.
This is another best option to study architecture in English in Germany. At this institute, the Faculty of Architecture and Landscape Science oversees the B.Sc. program in Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning and the three-year B.Sc. Architecture.
10. Technical University Dresden
Location: Dresden, Saxony, Germany
The Architecture program at the Technical University of Dresden offers a comprehensive education that blends academic rigor with practical application. The program covers architectural theory, design principles, and sustainability, providing students with a well-rounded education.
Through studio work and real-world projects, students gain valuable practical experience, preparing them for careers in architecture, urban planning, or architectural research. The mix of architecture and landscape, which is quite unusual in any German state, is the signature of the Faculty of Architecture at this institution.
11. University of Wuppertal
Location: Wuppertal, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
The University of Wuppertal offers an exceptional architecture program known for its dedication to cutting-edge design and sustainable practices. The curriculum combines solid theoretical knowledge with practical, hands-on experiences, preparing students for success in the dynamic field of architecture. You can consider this institution to study architecture in English in Germany.
Focusing on environmental and social responsibility, graduates of the University of Wuppertal’s Architecture program are well-prepared to address contemporary construction challenges by embracing creativity and sustainable solutions.
12. University of Hannover
Location: Northern Germany
The Architecture program at the University of Hannover, often known as Leibniz University Hannover, is highly regarded for its broad and respected curriculum.
This program provides students with a strong educational foundation in architectural principles, design, and construction methods. Through a mix of theoretical courses and practical design projects, students are encouraged to explore inventive and sustainable architectural solutions.
Requirements to Study Architecture in English in Germany
To study architecture in English in Germany, you generally need to meet the following requirements:
- Educational Qualifications: You will usually need a high school diploma or equivalent, which may vary depending on the specific university’s admission requirements.
- English Language Proficiency: Since you wish to study in English, you may need to demonstrate your English language proficiency. This is often done through standardized tests such as IELTS or TOEFL. Please verify the language requirements with the particular university in question.
- Entrance Exams: Some universities may require you to take an architecture-related entrance exam or submit a portfolio of your work. So, be sure to check the admission requirements of the university you are interested in.
- Visa: If you are not an EU/EEA citizen, you will need a student visa to study in Germany. Be sure to check the visa requirements and application process.
- Financial Proof: You may need to show proof of financial resources to cover your living expenses during your studies in Germany.
- Health Insurance: It is important to have health insurance coverage while studying in Germany. You may be required to provide proof of health insurance as part of your visa application.
- Application Process: Follow the specific application procedures and deadlines set by the university you are applying to. This can differ depending on the specific institution.
Why Should You Study Architecture in Germany
Studying architecture in Germany is a wise choice for several essential reasons. They include:
- Exceptional Education: Germany is renowned for its world-class architecture programs, ensuring that you receive a high-quality education.
- Architectural Diversity: Germany’s rich history displays a wide range of architectural styles, providing a unique learning experience.
- Cost-Efficient Education: Many German universities offer tuition-free or affordable programs, making it financially viable for international students.
- Economic Opportunities: Germany’s strong economy opens the door to internships and job prospects in the architecture field.
- Cultural Enrichment: You will have the opportunity to interact with a diverse student community and gain insight into different cultures.
- Sustainability Focus: Germany is a global leader in sustainable architecture and green building practices, equipping you with vital knowledge in an environmentally conscious field.
- Central European Location: Located in the center of Europe, Germany offers easy access to explore other architectural wonders throughout the continent.
- English-friendly Programs: Many universities offer architecture programs in English, reducing language barriers for international students.
Key Factors to be Aware of Before Starting Your Architecture Studies in Germany
Studying architecture in English in Germany is a great option, but there are several important factors you need to consider before setting out on this journey. They include:
- Research Institutions: Research reputable institutions that offer you the opportunity to study architecture in English in Germany.
- Admission Requirements: Research the specific admission requirements for architecture programs at your chosen universities.
- Cost: Although tuition fees may be low, remember to budget for living expenses.
- Visas and Permits: Understand the visa and residence permit processes for international students.
- Degree Recognition: Make sure your degree will be recognized internationally and within the European Union.
- Curriculum: Examine the structure and practical components of the program.
- Work Opportunities: Explore job possibilities for international students during and after your studies.
- Scholarships: Explore financial aid options to support your education.
- Accommodation: Plan on accommodation, as it can be competitive in popular cities.
- Cultural Adaptation: Familiarize yourself with German culture for a smooth transition.
1. Can I study architecture in English in Germany?
Certainly, you have the option to pursue architecture studies in Germany in the English language. Many German universities offer architecture programs taught in English, making it accessible to international students.
2. What are the general admission requirements for architecture programs in Germany?
Admission requirements may vary. However generally, you will need a high school diploma or its equivalent, proof of English proficiency, and a portfolio showcasing your architectural work.
3. What is the duration of an Architecture degree in Germany?
Typically, a bachelor’s degree takes 3 to 4 years, while a master’s degree in architecture in Germany takes 1.5 to 2 years.
4. Can I work as an architect in Germany after completing my studies?
Yes, after graduating from your studies, you can apply for an 18-month job seeker visa. If you secure a job related to your field during this period, you can change to a work visa.
5. Which universities in Germany are famous for English-taught architecture programs?
Some of the prestigious universities for architecture in Germany that offer programs in English include the Technische Universität München (TUM), the Technische Universität Berlin, the University of Stuttgart, and others.
Studying architecture in English in Germany can be a highly gratifying endeavor for international students. Germany’s renowned education system emphasizes both the theoretical and practical aspects of architecture, making it an ideal destination for those seeking a comprehensive learning experience.
With a wide range of English-taught programs, a culturally rich environment, and a thriving architectural industry, Germany offers aspiring architects an exceptional platform to hone their skills and knowledge.